Thursday, September 05, 2013

Nana'a Quilt finally done

It's finally done...it took hella long but well I'm sure Nana is going to love it. I'm hoping that she'll get it tomorrow or Saturday. I told her that as I was making this that I was going to have a hard time giving it to her, but in the end I was tired of looking at it and was glad to get it off my table. 
 I named the quilt Ocean Breeze. The pictures are a little blown out because I was in a hurry to get this in the box and rushed to the post office to mail it (made it only by 2 minutes).
The quilt measure 96 x 104 or there abouts. I didn't have time to measure it after I washed it but I pre-washed all the fabric so it should be close to that anyways.
 When my grandparents were here last November they saw some of my rag quilts that I was making for orders. They loved them and wanted a big quilt for their bed. I had already made my grandfather a quilt before, it was actually my very first quilt. It's nice but I have gotten way better since then.
The back. Super simple, 2 big pieces of fabric and strip in the middle to join them.
 They both thumbed through my quilting magazine that I had laying around the house and found a patter in a McCall's magazine. They looked at it and asked if I could make it. Me, being the slightly over confident looked at it and say sure without really paying attention to the actual pattern. I would soon come to regret it later.

In another magazine my Nana found the color scheme that she wanted which is pretty much what you see pictured here. We went out the dinner one night and after dinner we decided to browse the fabric store. They picked some and I picked some and I said I would come and buy it when it was all on sale.
 February rolls around and there is a huge sale and I go and buy everything (little did I know that I would go back 3 times for more fabric) and bring it all home and that's when I really looked at the pattern and said "Oh shit! There are 20 pieces per block and in order to make a king size quilt I'm going to need about 72-81 12" blocks." Only then did I panic.
But I started to iron and cut and chain piece things together and I think it took me about a month of solid several hours a day to get the top done. I send the quilt to a friend and she quilted it for me. I decided on orange for the binding to pull out the orange in the quilt. It's hard to see but it's there and I love it.

I told Nana that my name is already on it so when she dies I'm taking it back....Nana beat me to it and put it in the will for me, lol. Nana's funny. But moving on to the next quilt. It's for a little girl but I love the fabric so much I'm going to make myself a lap quilt while I make her full size one. That is as soon as my machine comes back from the shop.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

What a great color combo! Lucky Nana - I hope she is able to enjoy it for many years to come:-)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt .....thanks for sharing. Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

Melissia said...

You did a great job and it is beautiful!